Thursday, April 16, 2009

Muppet fun at school

Our group presentation in Evidence yesterday was a mild success. I'm proud enough of our stuff that I'm going to post the lyrics here so y'all can have a laugh too. We were so worried the class wouldn't understand the lyrics, but after the first joke they laughed hard and long, so I was pleased with our performance. If you don't think that discussing evidentiary privileges to the tune of Muppets songs (a true tribute to Jim Henson!) is interesting / hilarious, well, then, skip this part:

(to the tune of C is for Cookie) P is for privilege, that’s good enough for meP is for privilege, that’s good enough for meP is for privilege, that’s good enough for meOh, privilege privilege privilege starts with P... EVERYBODY NOW!!! (repeat) (yes, they did sing along)

(to the tune of the Muppet Show introduction) It’s time to meet your lawyer, it’s time to meet your priest, it’s time to meet your doctor on the privilege show tonight.It’s time to meet your hubby, it’s time to meet your wife, it’s time for confidential communications on the privilege show tonight.

(to the tune of It's not easy being green) It’s not easy keeping secrets, I want to tell my doctor exactly what’s wrong with me,When I think it could be nicer, just keeping it between us. That rash on my (pause) back.

(to the tune of Mahna Mahna, wife-husband evidentiary privelege) Blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah, I killed the neighbor.

(to the tune of Movin right along) We don’t really care about the truth of the matter, the client can chatter, but the lawyer has to remain silent

(to the tune of Rubber Duckie) Father O’Malley you’re the one. You make confession lots of fun. Father O’Malley I know you’ll never tell on me.

(to the tune of Rainbow Connection) Why are there so many privileges before us? Doctor-patient, Lawyer-client, Spousal, Penitent-Priest, Psycho-Therapist patient, Reporter-Source, Accountant-client, Accused privileges, right against self incrimination, informant’s, surveillance, executive privilege

it's of course funnier live, but I'm proud of our unique presentation. According to the professor, in the three or so years he has been requiring group presentations, we were the first to use music in our presentation (thus the unique part of it). After all this singing, we also had a class-wide game of Jeopardy. I enjoyed playing the theme song for that on the keyboard including a major chord for when they got it right and a diminished chord for when they... didn't.

Life is good. I wish every legal presentation could include musical jokes... do you think I could take my keyboard into court with me???

2 comments:

  1. If keyboards could go into the courtroom, then I wanna be a lawyer/musician, too!!!! I love the muppet idea . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should read this:

    http://kalman.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/23/may-it-please-the-court/?emc=eta1

    ReplyDelete