Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter tidings of joy

We sang "Now the Green Blade Rises" in church this morning. It's an Easter hymn but set in a minor mode with a fairly haunting melody. When I was a kid, there was a TV show I only watched once that sported an introduction with a similarly haunting tune. I wished for years after that that I could remember the tune and recreate it, but never could. "Now the Green Blade Rises" is actually the closest song to it, and for that reason I've always liked it. Nice to sing it in church this morning.

My Easter has been quite satisfying, and if I didn't get all the homework done that I should, well, that's why I finish my reading before finals start. It was really the perfect day, filled with friends, family, church, chocolate and other things that don't alliterate so I won't list them here. I have been ditching church a lot recently, so if possible, church actually meant something more to me today than it usually does every Holy Week, because I was listening intently and with a fresh mind.

I love going to a church that simultaneously hosts nearly every adult who helped raise me as a kid plus people my own age too. I love that I know every other person there, even on Easter when the Easter-Christmas Christians show up. I love that I used to be the kid hunting the eggs on the lawn and that I used to be the kid hiding the eggs for the littler kids and that now I'm a choir member and occasionally play for a service too. There's a certain familiarity with one's home church that never disappears. And yet Easter is especially wonderful these days because my grandparents live so close that they were a part of it too for me this year. All in all, it's been a really nice day. Reality can reach out its hand and slap me in the face tomorrow morning when I start briefing. For now, I'm just rejoicing with a billion other people that Jesus saves, and that means me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment