Tuesday, March 17, 2009

yay me family is famous

So here I was tonight, bored with the television programs on yet needing that comforting noise in the background to really get some good studying in, channel surfing. On any normal day I would check the major stations and give up, but a little sprite must have been controlling the remote (as opposed to those little birds that always let the cat out of the bag? toooo many mixed metaphors...), because I flipped straight through the public access channels I Never Check and checked them all. And there he was: my father. I thought at first that I'd somehow flipped the channel straight through to watching my parents at home (I always kind of figured that day would come, what with all these webcams these days... watch your family! watch your friends!) because there he was, my dad, on TV.

It took me a moment to place what I was watching, but I finally realized that he was giving his report from the Bicycle Commission at the City Council meeting. He's the head of the Bicycle Commission, which I think is pretty cool since I always thought of him as The Bike Guy anyway, and now he officially owns that title. My mother had told me earlier that this was going to happen tonight, but it never once occurred to me that it would be televised. I guess most of these public meetings are, probably by law even. So, I yelled to my roommate that my DAD IS ON TV and we watched the end of his speech regarding bike lanes in Downtown Davis. Pretty funny stuff. Yay.

I can only think of three times that I myself have been on TV: once in high school, directing the Madrigal choir on Good Day Sacramento or some such show, once in college during Christmas Fest at St. Olaf first year when they taped it and once some random time in Davis when a camera crew interviewed me for something about the Davis Public Library. But as far as I can remember my parents have not been on television. So, I thought this was pretty cool. I vote for going through the archives and adding "Dad talking to City Council" to the DVDs on the shelf. What say?

No comments:

Post a Comment