Sunday, February 15, 2009

To See (Lance) or Not to See

Well, after much prolongued discussion with my mom about when to head down to the races, we drove into downtown Davis about 20 minutes before the whole Tour de California started. Arriving at Steve's, we were given our complimentary Davis pins and cowbells, and tried to stay away from the cold and the wind and the wet. One of the volunteers was amusing herself by shouting from time to time, "There they are!" and of course, I looked every time. Fool me five times, I'll ring my cowbell at you! Finally, there they were, there they were.... and they were gone. I looked for Lance but all I was thinking of vaguely was the yellow jacket he always wears... oh yea, the yellow jersey from the Tour de France... oh yea, this is California not France... darnit. So I was stuck looking at about 20 riders wearing yellow realizing that he might not even be wearing that color. Then there they were agin! And.... once again... Lance? No Lance? No idea. Oh well. It was cold but fun, I loved all the carnival booths selling donuts and hot chocolate. I can't remember a time that downtown Davis was that full, not even at Picnic in the Park over the summer. And of course, the Davis Rule was not broken... I see someone I know every time I venture out of my apartment, and today was no different; we ran into two couples who used to go to Davis Lutheran. All in all, a wonderful if cold and wet morning. Hope they keep it like this next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment