Saturday, July 4, 2009

Plant Update

So this morning after Dad bought a box for me Mom and I planted my new stuff. We had potting soil, a watering can, a source of water and a front porch to use, so it went pretty smoothly. It's fun putting the potting soil in and then scooping out the hole JUST the right size and then coddling the plant out of its box and into its new home. We talked through the process JUST loud enough that the neighborhood kids became interested in what we were doing, so much so that when one of their moms came cycling around the corner and asked what they were doing, one little boy said, "Planting!" They were not... they were just playing quietly across the street. So I knew then that they were watching, and learning, a little. Our houses have no back yards and the plants are taken care of by the homeowner's association for the most part, so some of these kids may never have had a gardening experience before. Of course I enjoyed the process even if we hadn't had them watching listening and learning... now I have a reason to bop around my front yard every day and talk to the neighbors. Garden, and sweep.... and garden, and sweep... And I have chives and strawberries and lemon balm. And I noticed I have enough room in the front to add at least two if not three more boxes, if I can keep the first box alive that is.... we'll see.

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck! I am prone to killing plants so I'm sure you'll do better than I would.

    ReplyDelete
  2. seriously good luck with the plants. I've been trying my hand at window boxes too. Sadly, a squirrel went after my rosemary plant. I'm afraid the mint is next.

    ReplyDelete